Selling your home? Here are some tips to survive the showings.
1. Keep the house ready for showings - at least as much as possible. Try to clean as you go and pick up items regularly.
- Picking up any clutter
- Cleaning the kitchen
- Keeping the bathroom clean
- Touch-up the glass windows, doors and mirrors.
- Vacuum regularly
2. Have a checklist of things to do before leaving the house. You can create your own, or download my free checklist here.
3. Come up with a list of things you can do while you’re out. These could include running errands, visiting friends or family or even getting a meal out.
4. If you are having showings in the evenings, meal preparation can get tricky. You may want to consider make ahead meals or simple meals like sandwiches or frozen pizza. Also, make sure what you prepare does not overpower the house with an unpleasant smell.
5. Don’t let it consume you. Live your life and still do what you need to do. Remember that sometimes it’s alright to say no if a showing will inconvenience you. Also, if you cannot leave the house…stay. I don’t recommend doing this often, but it’s ok if a situation arises that you just cannot leave. Just try and stay out of the way of the buyers. Sit outside if weather permits. You want the buyer to picture themselves in the home and not feel like they are visiting you.
6. Don’t let your guard down. If it has been some time between showings, it can be easy to let the house get messy again. If this happens, when you do get a call, your house could be at its worst. Now it’ll take a lot more work to clean it up. So just spend the time and keep it ready. You’ll be glad you did when you get the call.